DISCOVERY SKI EDUCATION FOUNDATION WARNING, NOTIFICATION OF RISKS, and LIABILITY RELEASE. THIS DOCUMENT AFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MUST READ AND UNDERSTAND IT BEFORE AGREEING TO ITS TERMS. BY ACCEPTING THE TERMS OF THIS DOCUMENT BELOW YOU ARE AGREEING TO THIS DOCUMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY
DISCOVERY SKI EDUCATION FOUNDATION WARNING, NOTIFICATION OF RISKS, and LIABILITY RELEASE
I understand that Alpine and Freeride/Freeskiing and racing in its various forms, as well as preparation for, participation in, coaching, volunteering, officiating and related activities (hereinafter referred to as “Activities”), includes inherent dangers and risks that are part of the sport including: changing weather conditions; snow conditions as they exist or as they may change, including ice, hardpack, powder, packed powder, wind pack, corn snow, crust, slush, cut-up snow, and machine-made snow of any depth or accumulation, including but not limited to any depth or accumulation around or near trees or snowmaking equipment; avalanches, collisions with natural surface or subsurface conditions, such as bare spots, forest growth, rocks, stumps, streambeds, cliffs, trees, and other natural objects; collisions with lift towers, signs, posts, fences, enclosures, hydrants, waterpipes, or other artificial structures and their components; variations in steepness or terrain, whether natural or the result of slope design, snowmaking, or snow grooming operations, including but not limited to roads, freestyle/park terrain, ski jumps, catwalks and other terrain modifications; collisions with clearly visible or plainly marked equipment, including but not limited to lift equipment, snowmaking equipment, snow grooming equipment, trail maintenance equipment, and snowmobiles, whether or not the equipment is moving; collisions with other skiers; the failure of a skier to ski within that skier’s ability; skiing in a closed area or skiing outside the ski area boundary as designated on the ski area trail map; restricted visibility caused by snow, wind, fog, sun, or darkness; and encounters with wildlife. I agree to conduct a thorough inspection of the course and the adjacent area before using the course for any training, practice or competition. Fencing, equipment covers, signs, rope lines and other devices may be in place and mark some, but not all of the potential obstacles or hazards. These markers will not prevent injury. I understand it is my/my child’s responsibility to stay away from marked areas. I acknowledge the existence of these risks and accept such risks, on behalf of myself and/or my minor child, whether they are marked or unmarked.
Warning, Risk of Avalanche: Avalanche hazard reduction measures help reduce the risk of avalanches but cannot eliminate the possibility of an avalanche occurring in avalanche prone areas and runout zones open for skiing. I acknowledge the existence of this risk and accept such risk on behalf of myself and/or my minor child.
I am aware that there are inherent and other risks or dangers for those who are in the process of approaching, loading, riding, unloading and departing from chairlifts, tows and conveyors. All passengers who use a chairlift, tow or conveyor shall be responsible for their own loading, riding and unloading. I understand that all persons who use a chairlift, tow or conveyor shall be presumed to have sufficient ability, physical dexterity and/or personal assistance to negotiate and to be evacuated safely
I understand that injuries of all types are a common and ordinary occurrence of the Activities. I know that the risk of severe injury or death exists in all training and competition locations and Activities, and I voluntarily accept and fully assume such risks on behalf of myself or my minor child. I authorize DSEF to call for medical care for my minor child or to transport my minor child to a medical facility or hospital if medical attention is needed.
I accept responsibility for myself and my minor child for any and all damage or injury of any kind which may result and agree to indemnify and hold harmless Discovery Ski Education Foundation (“DSEF”) and Discovery Ski Area, and their subsidiaries, their affiliates, their respective officers, directors, agents, servants and employees acting officially otherwise harmless for any claim, demand actions or causes of action arising out of or on account of any injury or damage.
I/WE HAVE CAREFULLY READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. I/WE ARE AGREEING TO ITS TERMS FREELY AND REALIZE THAT IT IS BINDING UPON MYSELF, MY HEIRS, AND ASSIGNS, AND IN THE EVENT, I AM SIGNING IT ON BEHALF OF MY MINOR, THAT I HAVE FULL AUTHORITY TO DO SO, REALIZING ITS BINDING EFFECT ON THEM AS WELL AS MYSELF.
By signing this document, you may be waiving your legal right to a jury trial to hold the provider legally responsible for any injuries or damages resulting from risks inherent in the sport or recreational opportunity or for any injuries or damages you may suffer due to the provider’s ordinary negligence that are the result of the provider’s failure to exercise reasonable care.
If any provisions of this agreement are found to be unenforceable, the remaining provisions shall remain in full force and effect.
If I am accepting the terms on behalf of a minor, I accept full responsibility for all medical expenses or liability incurred as a result of the minor’s actions or participation in DSEF and agree to hold harmless and indemnify DSEF, its employees, agents, officers and directors for any such expenses. I agree to explain the safety items, risks and disciplinary guidelines outlined above to my minor child.
DSEF Parent & Athlete Policies
1. DSEF reserves the right to restrict participation.
2. DSEF reserves the right to amend policies and procedures as needed.
3. DSEF reserves the right to approve the child for participation and make proper placement of the child within their respective program based on skill level, development, and maturity. This may mean some participants will be placed in groups different from siblings or friends.
4. All participants will receive a team coat. Athlete’s coats must be cleaned and returned at the end of the season. If the team coat is lost, damaged or not returned, you will be responsible for the cost of the jacket ($150).
5. Skiers\racers planning to participate in USSA sanctioned races require a USSA membership -- (www.ussa.org).
6. A helmet is required -- for those planning to attend USSA races, helmets need hard-covered ears.
7. No iPods or other listening devices while skiing.
8. All athletes and parents must agree to accept and abide by the policies of DSEF.
DSEF Program & Camp Fee Policies
1. Program and camp fees vary depending on the program/camp option. See program and camp guide on the DSEF website for detailed pricing.
2. All program fees must be paid in full prior to each training stage, camp, event, or new registration period.
3. All camp, and event fees must be paid in full at the time of registration
4. If a participant’s payment of fees and other expenses are not received by payment deadlines, that participant may have program/competition privileges revoked until the account is made current.
1. Upon registration and initial payment of program fees, refunds may be requested as follows: For voluntary and involuntary (documented illness, injury or family relocation) withdrawal, DSEF will retain $50 of the program participant’s program fee for administrative fees; an additional prorated monthly fee will be added for the period the participant was registered for the program.
2. There are no refunds given due to late openings of Discovery Ski Area.
Parent and Athlete give DSEF consent to photograph, film, record, videotape (collectively referred to as “recordings”) and then use, reproduce, and publish recordings of Athlete or Parent. Parent and Athlete (even after Athlete is an adult) agree that any such recordings shall be DSEF’s sole property for any lawful use, and Parent and Athlete release DSEF from any and all claims in connection with the recordings.